Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
While I agree with you, I was agreeing with the point that Biggin made. And yeah, a lot of the black people (nowhere near all of them) are acting like we're cracking the whip at them when we don't bow down. That's my point.
I do agree with VA's move. You do something that you know is wrong, then apologize.
I also think that other states, both northern and southern owe some of these minorities apologies.
But it really is time to move on. Meaning, don't necessarily forget about what happened, but forget about judging.
But yeah. The state of Virginia could receive a blessing for God for repenting.
Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
I'm not 165 years old...so I don't owe anyone an apology.
Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
I grow more ashamed to be from Va all the time.
Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
I didn't ask you to like my opinion. You can feel how you want. If you feel like you owe someone an apology, that's you. I don't.
Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
My Cherokee ancestors are awaiting their apology now.
Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
Actualy theres was built into this one
Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
My bad it is just a simular bill doing the same thing sorry
Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
Seems you're the only one laughing, Biggin. Seems most people tend to agree with me, eh? It was a long time ago - we need to move on and accept that mistakes are made.
That's not to say you shouldn't learn from mistakes in the past, but to apologize for something that happened that long ago? Jesus. At this point and time, honestly, it makes no difference.
That's about all I have to say.
Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
I want my parents to apologize for all the "slave" labor I had to indure when I lived at home. We had a tobacco field not to mention the regular garden and believe me when there are 3 boys in the family....jeez the potatoes we had to hoe. So mom and dad.....apologize!!
Just kidding. You know, this part of Va. along with West Va. never had that many slaves or if any to begin with. The people from this area did not believe in slavery and believed in doing their own work. That is why West Va. split. (Thank God!)
My feelings....we do not have to apologize for anything! That happened over 144 years agao and I had nothing to do with any of that. So why should I apologize for something I had no control over. Let those people on those plantations on the James River worry about that crap!
I also wonder how much of out tax dollars were used for this proclamation? Waste if you ask me!
Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
These were all in the university newspaper. They're pretty interesting.
This is a good article (written by a minority) discussing the issue.
http://www.cavalierdaily.com/CVArtic...9&pid=1535
A little less tempered in opposition to the apology: http://www.cavalierdaily.com/CVArtic...35&pid=559
Provides a nice overview of the differing points:
http://www.cavalierdaily.com/CVArtic...5&pid=1526